Not only are sweet potatoes in season during this time of year, but they are quite nutritious for you and your dog. Sweet potatoes are packed full of antioxidants and important vitamins, such as Vitamin A and Vitamin E, promoting healthy skin, coat, eyes and strong teeth. This recipe is quick and easy with only one ingredient and little to no clean up. We hope your pups love these delightful treats as much as ours!
Sweet Potato Chewies Recipe:
- 1 medium to large sweet potato (*Yams can be substituted as well)
- Thoroughly wash and rinse the sweet potato (or yam)
- Cut into 1/4 in. slices
- Place slices on a cookie sheet
- (Optional) - drizzle a little olive oil over the top if desired
- (Optional) - sprinkle a little cinnamon over the top if desired
- Bake in the oven at 250 degrees for 3 hours
When slicing the sweet potato, remember that the thicker the slice the chewier and softer the treat will be for your pup. In contrast, the thinner the slice, the crispier the treat will be.
In baking, we recommend checking the chewies each hour on the hour so as not to burn them. Smaller chewies will cook faster and need less time than larger chewies.
We are sure your dogs will love this simple and delicious treat as much as ours do!!
A & A